Addressing chronic pain at Lumina
In addition to our neurologists treating acute or short-term pain, we also offer a specialist chronic pain clinic with Dr Maggie Winters. This service is for pain that has been continuing for more than three months and impacting your child’s mental health, school attendance, physical function and other daily living activities. Referring doctors: If you’re unsure about whether a case is suitable, please use the form at the bottom of the page to request a call with Maggie.
About pain management
A child’s pain is deeply distressing and can affect the whole family. At Lumina, we take a multidisciplinary approach to assess the causes of pain, and to devise a patient-centred pain management plan.
Pain management in children requires a comprehensive approach based on the biopsychosocial model. Doctors work closely with families and other healthcare professionals to provide the best possible care for the child in pain. Here are some aspects to managing pain in children:
- Thorough and careful assessment of the pain, including the synthesis of assessments from the referring doctor and other healthcare professionals
- A multi-pronged and individualised treatment plan will be tailored to each child
- Medications may be used to manage pain in children after careful consideration and under close supervision
- Non-pharmacological treatment such as physical therapy and mind-based strategies (e.g. cognitive-behavioural therapy, hypnotherapy) will be important components of the management plan
- Persistent pain management requires the consistent implementation of the plan by the child, family, school, and other health care professionals to achieve the best possible outcome. The child’s progress will be continually monitored
- Clear and efficient communication between the doctor and the child’s referring doctor will ensue
Request a quick consult with Dr Winters